Longview's Historic Treasure
322 Teague Street
Date of construction: 1873
Architectural Style: Gothic farmhouse
Recorded Texas Historical Landmark: 1966
One of the few remaining houses of Earpville (early Longview), the Teague House was considered to be “an old house” in 1882 when it was purchased by Mary and Lattimus Teague of Alabama. Built before Gregg County was formed from parts of Upshur and Rusk Counties in 1873, the records of the deed were lost when a court house fire destroyed Upshur County records.
With its high-pitched roof and steep narrow brick chimneys, the house is similar to 19th century New England Gothic farmhouses. Each room was warmed by a wood-burning fireplace, and a huge porch still extends across the front and side of the home.
The tall clapboard farmhouse welcomed weary travelers on the William Brooks stagecoach line from Monroe, Louisiana to Tyler, Texas.
The Teague family had 10 children, but only one grand-child, who died in early childhood. The Teagues’ daughters, Molly and Sarah, held school sessions and taught music lessons in the home after 1890. There are no Teague family descendants.
Teague Pond, now part of Teague Park, was always part of this site. In 1935, Lattimus W. Teague sold 20 acres to the City of Longview as a memorial to his sister Sarah.