Longview's Historic Treasure
Date of construction: 1934
Architectural Style: Arts and Crafts
In 1934 John C. and Mary Lee Robbins built their home on Stuckey Drive. A college student at age 14 and a Second Lieutenant in World War II, John C. Robbins entered the oil business in 1930 and started the Robbins Petroleum Company of Longview.
Originally a small cottage with living room, kitchen, breakfast area, 2 bedrooms and 1 bath, when the Robbins only had one child (Betty), the home was enlarged by 2 extra bedrooms and bath on the west side in the 1940’s following the birth of John Clinton and Dorothy. In the late 40’s a bedroom was added on the east side for Dorothy and a rear patio was converted to a family room.
Built with local materials, the house was originally wood framed with a wood shingle roof, painted wood siding, trim, doors and windows with dark green accents at the wood shingled gables. The structure is closely related to the bungalow style, being small-scaled and one story, with exposed rafters and a lack of ornamentation. A distinct characteristic of this style is the way the front door opens into the living room, which is directly connected to a dining room with a wide opening between.
The backyard originally extended to Highway 80, but Pizza King had the first option to purchase the frontage on the highway.
The home is now owned by Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Bratz, a preservation architect and his wife.